Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Of Elephants and Ants...

I was showering halfway when I recall what Andrew said during our last poly gathering at Fish & Co...

When the elephants fight, the ants die...

Andrew was refering to NS life. I feel that it applies to the corporate world too~ sigh! I feel like an ant. Like a pawn as well... I am feeling very resentful over the fact that my manager wants us to go back and work on Good Friday if we din hit our run rate~ We all know that he wants to outperform every other managers, fighting for the 1st position in a chart. He is THE ELEPHANT And all of us under him have to work extra time EVERYDAY when he's around. Eventually, all of us gets tired out and our fighting spirit dies~ We are THE ANTS.

I don't know how my colleagues feel actually. But I feel quite angry. I feel like I'm being punished, like school days. It shouldn't be this way!!! I feel that I shouldn't be force to work on a PUBLIC HOLIDAY!! If I need to (work), it should be voluntarily. I actually feel less pressurised without him around. I perform better and feel better every morning. I actually look forward to work, WHEN HE IS NOT AROUND. Sigh~

1 comment:

alan said...

The corporate world tends to be this way the world over. If you are very lucky sometimes you get a manager (in my case a foreman) who isn't out to impress the higher ups and only wants to get through the shift with as little trouble as possible. In 27 years, I've had only 2 or 3 of those!

I am safe from the holidays though, because we have a union. If I work a holiday it's voluntary and it's double time...for now. I have watched so many companies "break" their unions in the last 15 years that I have no doubt we'll be facing the same thing as soon as they can figure out how to do it!

I am sorry you lost your Friday that way; may your holiday be as lovely as you are!

alan